10.12.08

in season: parsnips


With the end of the year in sight, I always start thinking about New Year's resolutions. One thing I want to do more of this upcoming year is to eat seasonally and to try new foods. And even though the year is not over, I thought I'd get a head start on my resolution and give parsnips a try!

I'm sure not everyone is unfamiliar with the parsnip, but it's not a vegetable I grew up eating. The parsnip is a relative to the carrot, and looks quite similar besides it's pale color. But that's about where the similarities end. The flavor is much stronger, and it benefits from being roasted, mashed, or used in soups and stews. For my first try, I went with this recipe for pureed roasted parsnips. It was delicious, and now I won't be as scared of these white root vegetables anymore!!

For some great information on the parsnip, visit this blog post at What's For Lunch, Honey.

No comments: